The role of this position is to ensure health, safety and environmental (HSE), process safety management (PSM), and quality management system (QSM) standards are met in the assigned area. This position oversees the operation and maintenance of the department to meet internal and external customer requirements (volume and quality) and long term profitability. This requires close coordination and communication with the Operations, Customer Service and Mechanical workgroups. Accountabilities include Production and Cost tracking, Engineering support, Operational Reliability tracking, serving as a Project/Process engineering resource, and safety and procedural compliance/ enforcement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and direct operating and maintenance resources/activities to achieve safety, environmental, quality, production and cost objectives.
- Provide input for weekly and daily maintenance schedules by generating and prioritizing notifications.
- Review operating data (laboratory data, logbooks, log sheets, notes, Tiered accountability boards, etc.) and ensure actions are being taken to resolve undesired conditions.
- Communicate instructions written and verbal for the Operators and Shift Supervisors
- Create an environment focused on continuous improvement for safety, environmental, customer service, cost and productivity.
- Ensure safety of the department by monitoring housekeeping/potential hazards of the department, enforcing safety regulations, and leading the department’s safety efforts.
- Ensure compliance to environmental permits, company policies and OSHA standards.
- Provide input to production superintendent for annual operating forecast as well as operating, maintenance and capital budgets.
- Identify and implement projects for operational efficiency improvements.
- Communicate effectively with other plant departments and plant management.
- Address customer concerns/inquiries related to products in the area.
- Administer the labor contract in the department.
- Promote teamwork, resolve conflict and build strong work relationships as well as provide training and coaching for his/her staff.
- This position could supervise up to 10 wage employees.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS in Engineering discipline required
- Intern/Summer Hire experience in an applicable chemical industry
- Work well in a team environment, balance multiple projects, and be able to make effective decisions
- Demonstrated Leadership Skills
- Effective Communication Skills
- BS in Chemical Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an applicable chemical industry
- 6 Sigma and/or Lean training/experience is beneficial
- Experience supervising wage subordinates
- Experience working with a union workforce and administering labor contract