Provides electrical, instrumentation, specification preparation and resolution of maintenance engineering problems. Coordinate with a multi-discipline team of engineers and designers to successfully complete design and implementation of maintenance projects in chemical plant environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, size and specify (i.e. project specifications and datasheets) electrical, instruments and control equipment/systems to indicate, measure and control specific aspects of a production process and operating plant.
- Establish design criteria, prepare procurement specifications, evaluate bids, and manage contracts for electrical, instrument and control equipment.
- Conceptualize plans, details and sections to accurately convey construction or fabrication requirements.
- Check documents and drawings produced by other engineers and drafting personnel.
- Initiates procurement of materials and communicates with purchasing, vendors and stores to control expediting and receiving of materials.
- Check vendor supplied drawings and/or information and coordinate transfer into project drawings.
- Checkout vendor provided equipment at vendor site and/or jobsite and field pre-commissioning and start-up support.
- Work within Company policy and in compliment with the Safety Manual and OSHA Safety rules.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor to ensure an effective Maintenance Group.
- Supports Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing opportunities for improvement or communicating ideas to management, as well as active participation on project teams
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge and Application of all electrical and instrumentation related standards, codes and regulations; working knowledge of DCS, PLC and SCADA/HMI control system software, hardware and architecture; working knowledge of databases; working knowledge of Instrument and Electrical software tools is desirable.
- Specific experience with the application of electrical, instrumentation and control systems in the Chemical industries.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be capable of interacting with other engineering disciplines, craftsmen and frontline supervisors.
- 5 years of experience in heavy industrial Electrical and I&C engineering design, checkout and commissioning preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Electrical, Instrumentation, Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering college or university.
- Hands-on field experience with electrical systems, instruments and control systems.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.