Engineer II - Engineering Services
Responsible for engineering and design of custom fabricated PVC fittings. Support customer service in the determination of manufacturing feasibility for proposed fittings. Aid and respond to agency compliance concerns with bespoke fitting designs. Support product sample production and testing for new product listings, as well as new plant listings. Create engineering documentation (drawings, general specifications) for new fabricated fitting designs. Also responsible for support of New Product Development (NPD) and Engineering Services (ES) teams across the company.
Out-of-town travel estimated at approximately 15% (plant visits, training opportunities, trips to observe product installations, customer support, vendor interface, etc.).
75% Product Design & Specification and Project Management
- Interact with customer service and sales teams in identifying new customer needs.
- Design and engineer new fabricated PVC fittings based on customer needs, utilizing legacy design knowledge and Design for Manufacturability (DFM) principles; working closely with NPD and ES teams (offsite), as well as on-site manufacturing team.
- Oversee preparation of mechanical test specimens for internal and/or external testing as well as external agency testing
- Assist with qualification projects, including occasional hands on execution of test requests
- Interface with compliance engineer to organize and coordinate material testing of products and test samples
- Document new designs with mechanical drawings and general specifications, and release through engineering change notices
- Provide engineering support as needed for all existing products
- Interface with production, supply chain, and customer service teams in order to provide rapid solutions to CS and sales teams inquiries regarding supported products.
15% Product Technical Support
- Develop new product usage specifications (manuals, flyers, usage guidelines, tech bulletins, etc.) for fabricated PVC fittings
- Provide verbal and written responses to internal and external customer inquiries related to fabricated PVC fittings
10% Product Complaint Handling
- Review complaints and inspection data, and provide recommended disposition, including customer correspondence
- Work with Quality and Operations to drive learnings from complaints into the continuous improvement process
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Creativity and initiative in attacking and solving problems
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks quickly
- "Hands-on" abilities needed - should be capable of preparing mock-ups and test samples
- A BS in Mechanical Engineering is required. Professional Engineer certification preferred but not required.
- Proficiency with 3d modeling systems, 2d drafting and product dimensioning (SolidWorks strongly preferred). Experience with Product Data Management software (WindChill, SolidWorks PDM, etc.) preferred but not required.
- Practical work experience in a laboratory environment, familiar with lab test equipment and comfortable learning and operating lab equipment
- Experience working with plant quality teams ensuring products meet specifications
- Must be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must be legally permitted to work in Canada
- This job may have occasional travel into the United States. Must be legally permitted to enter
- Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere
- Must have mechanical aptitude, and the ability to perform failure root cause analysis
- Must have excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Must work safely - responsible for observing all Plant standard operating procedures and safety policies