Extrusion Operator (D Shift)
Westlake Pipe & Fittings, a Westlake company (NYSE:WLK), is the second-largest polyvinyl chloride pipe and fittings manufacturer in North America. Westlake Pipe & Fittings supplies gasketed, solvent weld and restrained joint pipes and a wide range of fittings for a diverse list of markets including municipal water and sewer, plumbing, water well, pool and spa, and agricultural and turf irrigation. Westlake Pipe & Fittings is an industry leader in product development with Certa-Lok® spline-lock technology and product systems that are focused on building A Better Foundation. To learn more, visit the website at WestlakePipe.com
The production operator is assigned to a specific cell or work area on a production shift and is responsible for the efficient operation of the production equipment and required to perform the following duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform the primary thinking encompassed by this job description.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Maintain operation of multiple lines, including loading gaskets and packaging end product for shipment.
- Visually inspect product for quality assurance purposes.
- Measure and record pipe dimensions as required. Take the proper action according to SPC Charting
- Control dimensions to maintain pipe specifications with direct supervision.
- Move bundled pipe from work area (scrap and good product).
- Assist in production line start-up activities and changeovers.
- Follow all operational and safety procedures.
- Cut and band scrap as directed.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work area per established housekeeping standards.
- Understand Belling Operations.
- Report any equipment malfunctions, product defects or unsafe conditions immediately.
- Read and Understand SOP’s contained in Operator Manual
- Relieve and assist other operators as needed.
- Work as a team with other personnel.
- Other duties as required
- Follows all SAFETY rules per orientation.
- Possess the skill and ability to purge a line down with supervision.
- Proper stacking of pipe in lifts.
- Perform visual inspection for quality of pipe; seek higher authority when in doubt.
- Remove gaskets from scrap pipe. Pipe with gaskets will NOT be placed in the scrap cart.
- Knows and can display how to get all quality readings from the pipe.
- Can accurately fill out and use the Control Charts to maintain weights at or below goal
- Is responsible for assisting supervisor and manufacturing personnel during changeovers.
Areas included but not limited to:
*Changing tank rubbers
* Putting in pull pipe
*Cleaning around beller, spray tanks, vacuum tanks and the extruder
*Checks print strip
*Performs assigned task during start-up
* Is responsible for recording vacuum on vent system and notifies supervisor or lead operator on any low vacuum.
* Can completely and accurately fill out operator sheets.
* Is responsible for cutting any quality samples assigned by QC.
* Can communicate all issues to both lead operator and the supervisor.
* Maintaining clean, organized work area
* Is responsible for keeping gaskets loaded in beller when running gasketed product
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- No prior experience or training required.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions in English. Communication skills (written and verbal) and be able to work well with operators, shift leaders an office personnel. Shares information with co-workers as needed.
- Ability to read a tape measure, add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid, hot and cold conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.