As a Technician in the Applications & Development Lab, this individual is responsible for operating plastic fabrication equipment in a safe and effective manner. This will include, but not limited to, trials conducted on multi-layer and mono film lines, cast and coex-cast film, extrusion coating/lamination, twin screw compounding and all related auxiliary equipment associated with lab activities. The selected individual will perform the above duties in support of Customers, TS&D, Product Development, Marketing, Production Units and other areas as needed to promote company objectives. This position will advance through the job progression system and eventually achieve the status of a 48-Month Technician.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operate various extrusion lines to evaluate polymer characteristics and create samples for end use testing. Accurate recording of process variables, test results and sample identification are critical work habits for effective experiments.
- Ability to operate complex mechanical processes both alone and as a team.
- Possess ability to learn, understand and retain machinery operation. Including recognizing when a process is not operating normally using all available means such as machine data, sounds, vibration, odor, sight, etc.
- At times, be available for shift flexibility as some trials may run past normal working schedules.
- Assist and participate in:
- Maintaining inventory of consumable supplies and ensuring proper materials are available to complete lab trials.
- Cleaning lab and performing routine maintenance.
- Troubleshooting lab equipment malfunctions.
- Entering job request/results into tracking system
- Conducting end use testing
- Perform duties in a manner that protects the health, safety and environment by:
- Promptly reporting incidents or issues to management
- Attending Monthly Safety meetings and actively participate in Safety initiatives
- Wearing required PPE
- Performing Lockout-Tagout on equipment when required
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment
- Work well with coworkers and supervision as a team to effectively accomplish Westlake goals. Displays enthusiasm, teamwork, and a desire for life-long learning and skill improvement.
- Learn to function as primary operator on a minimum of 3 out of 6 major pieces of lab equipment and as assistant on all other machinery.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or the equivalent (GED) and;
- Two years of experience in laboratory work or five years of work experience in related industry.
- Two year college degree in a related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field preferred.
- Possess a fundamental working knowledge of the manufacture, testing, analytical and application processes for polyolefin resins.
- Candidate must pass a drug screen and background check.
This job is performed mainly in the Application & Development Lab control room or office setting; physical presence is required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; have full use and range of motion of arms, hands and fingers to reach, grasp, hold, push or pull, twist, and work with tools; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to perform tasks that may require bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, lying down or working from elevated platforms. The employee must be able to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to see details of objects that are more/less than a few feet away; see differences between colors, shades and brightness and determine the distance between objects. This job requires response to audible emergency alarms inside of the plant. Employee must be able to evacuate when required.
The employee must be able to work in a normal factory environment, including enclosed spaces and exposure to various hazards. The working conditions are primarily indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work required in the operating units can require use of required PPE includeding safety glasses, safety toed shoes or boots, hearing protection, flame retardant clothing, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require use of stairs, ladders, barrel ladders and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.