Provide technical support for plant operations under close supervision. Give problem-solving consultation as requested and develop Engineering procedures in order to ensure optimum Engineering support for plant facilities. Participate in the application of new technology and materials to existing processes, so as to increase overall production and/or maintenance efficiency.
Provide process engineering support for plant on capital projects, from conception to start up.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide day-to-day technical assistance in the plant as requested, under close supervision. As a minimum, attend the morning meeting of the assigned area to maintain communication.
- Participate in the analysis and troubleshooting of specific plant operating problems as requested by the Unit Manager and agreed by the Engineering Manager.
- Optimize unit operations as assigned. Supports plant shutdowns with technical input.
- Provide process engineering support for various plant capital projects from conception through start-up. Prepare Scope of Work for new capital projects. Function as Project Sponsor on specific capital projects, when requested and under close supervision.
- Write and review new Standard Operating Procedures related to assigned projects.
- Assist in developing new and updating P&ID’s, TAP tasks, Site Standards (procedures), and Emergency Procedures.
- Participate and document Westlake Incident Reviews (WIR) as assigned. Participate in Eastman Department Incident Reviews (DIR) as requested. Complete action items for either type of incident review as assigned.
- Prepare, lead and follow-up Process Hazard Analysis/Layer of Protection Analysis (PHA/LOPA). Share in the PHA recommendation assignments.
- Provide information/calculations to support budgeting and cost control efforts.
- Participate in rotating On-call duties for the site, as plant experience is obtained and assessed to be adequate by supervision. Is available after hours by phone (or otherwise) for consultation and/or possible call-out for plant problems or emergencies.
- Ensure all activities are done in a manner that respects safety and the environment and/or meets quality objectives.
- Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of all personnel on site. Whenever appropriate, promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental incidents or issues to management so the situation can be corrected. Attend Safety meetings to help prevent off site and job accidents.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering.
- Internship experience in petrochemical plant operations or technology or an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
This job is performed mainly in control room or office setting; physical presence is required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; have full use and range of motion of arms, hands and fingers to reach, grasp, hold, push or pull, twist, and work with tools; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to perform tasks that may require bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, lying down or working from elevated platforms. The employee must be able to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to see details of objects that are more/less than a few feet away; see differences between colors, shades and brightness and determine the distance between objects. This job requires response to audible emergency alarms inside of the plant. Employee must be able to evacuate when required.
The employee must be able to work in a normal factory environment, including enclosed spaces and exposure to various hazards. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, flame retardant clothing, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.