Royal Building Products, a US building products manufacturer, has a full-time opening for a Production Supervisor. This position will be responsible for supervising all production efforts during assigned shift to ensure we meet Operational Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and in implementing continuous improvement plans related to efficiency, quality and talent development.
The schedule for this position is 3rd shift; 7:00pm-7:00am (36-48 hours per week rotating schedule). Must be available to work any shift to cover for the supervisor on the opposite shift during planned vacations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Supervises, hires and directs hourly personnel and manufacturing operations assigned to their shift
- Reviews production orders and schedules to makes constant decisions based on product data such as types, quantities, specifications, schedules, logistics and plans operations accordingly
- Assigns duties to all shift members and ensures that production schedule will be completed
- Conducts safety checks
- Provide technical leadership to shift personnel, to include: line setup/operation, metrics definition/reporting, testing, troubleshooting, and training facilitation
- Responsible for attendance, vacation schedules, training and other administrative tasks
- Ensure optimum utilization of manpower and equipment to dictate efficient workflow
- Delegate responsibility and recognize, develop, train and utilize talents and capabilities of all shift personnel
- Administer on the job training to new employees and provide continuous training as needed
- Participate and act as a lead for the new Extruder Operator training
- Partner with engineering, maintenance, quality and innovations departments to ensure all quality standards, practices, testing and metrics are administered and adhered to as required by VSI and the customer’s expectations
- Facilitate safety training and complete all incident investigations and reporting
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives to include: 5S, scrap reduction initiatives, and quality/innovations
- Spearhead projects, as needed and/or assigned, that solve current business problems and /or directly contribute to long-term business objectives
QUALIFICATION & SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Required: Minimum of five years of manufacturing experience; specifically, extrusion
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience
- Knowledge and experience in material control, engineering, quality and maintenance
- Understanding of the manufacturing processes
- Success in planning, executing and managing projects
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate upwardly to top management and downward to a wide range of audiences
- Strong communication skills
- Self-directed and able to multi-task in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- High level of demonstrated leadership skills
- Bilingual (Spanish/English is a plus)
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Required: OSHA 30-hour certificate (within 1 year of taking this role)
- Desired: Participate and complete Green Belt
Directly supervises Lead Operator, Lamination Operator, Extruder Operators, and Packers. Dotted line oversight to warehouse and maintenance staff working on the assigned shift. Approximately 25 people.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to hold, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must lift, carry and/or move up to 75 lbs. frequently. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. In addition, mobility to cover 2 facilities (North & South Plant) is required. Local travel may be required.
This position works in a fast-paced manufacturing facility. Noise level commensurate with large machinery. Ear and eye protection must be worn at all times and steel toed shoes and long pants are required. Temperatures in the building, although maintained, can be effected by outside weather conditions.