Regulatory Compliance Specialist
The Regulatory Specialist supports the Polyethylene Business by carrying out activities pertaining to all aspects of regulatory compliance involving Westlake’s Polyethylene and Epolene® products. This job requires knowledge of, and the ability to interpret, United States federal, state, and international compliance laws and regulations. In addition, knowledge of industry standards and customer specific requirements for food packaging articles are pluses.
Constant changes and additions to regulatory activities affect Westlake’s products. These changes are not limited just to the final products, but they also involve changes to processes, raw materials, and other activities related to the production of the products. There are also new regulatory activities to manage when Westlake’s products move into new markets and sales areas. This position plays a critical role in understanding the impact of these changes on the regulatory compliance of Westlake’s products.
This position requires collaboration and coordination with Westlake customers, Technology (TS&D, Research, and Support), Sales, Business, and Manufacturing functions. It requires independent work and building individual expertise in regulatory activities. This role can be based in Houston, TX with travel up to 50% for the first six months of employment to the Longview, TX site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and maintain understanding of regulatory activities including laws, regulations, industry standards, and Westlake policies affecting Westlake’s PE & Epolene® products.
- Maintain current knowledge of Westlake’s products, including composition, additives, and trace impurities, as required for regulatory activities and for compliance.
- Understand regulatory compliance of Westlake’s products, and determine the information, position statements, and appropriate documentation for customers, especially those affecting articles or materials for food contact.
- Work with outside firms as needed to ensure support of regulatory activities and regulatory compliance.
- Ensure regular and accurate communication to, and contribute Regulatory input to Technology and Business Management regarding regulatory activities or developments affecting or anticipated to affect Westlake’s products, product development, and business plans.
- Provide customers with information and position statements as appropriate regarding compliance of Westlake’s products (e.g., FDA).
- Create, maintain, and update internal documentation of regulatory activities and compliance requirements and documentation of all communications with customers.
- Participate in industry or regulatory meetings & conferences to stay informed of regulatory, legislative, or technical developments that potentially impact regulatory compliance.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidate must have prior experience in regulatory compliance, preferably supporting a polymer production business, particularly polyethylene.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Chemical Engineering, or a related field is required. B.S. must have minimum of 12 years of relevant experience, M.S. must have a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, and Ph.D. must have a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to interact at all levels within the organization and with external customers.
- Strong computer skills, with ability to effectively convey detailed technical information in a form that is easily understood by people with a limited technical background.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.