Plant Controlling Sr. Accountant is responsible for all plant accounting functions as well as variance analysis. The position interfaces daily with the Operations Manager(s) and production staff to support continuous improvement and execute business strategy. He/she will ensure that accounting controls are maintained and that the plants’ financial objectives are understood by the operations staff. The Plant Controller also interacts with Corporate Headquarters functions including Accounting, Supply Chain & Logistics and IT personnel. Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports by performing the following duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for the accounting of a specific manufacturing plant including complete ownership of the P&L, Manufacturing Statement and Balance Sheet accounts.
- Operate as the key financial accountant for assigned plant, providing overall control of the balance sheet and P&L for assigned plant. Coordinate and communicate with plant staff regarding corporate objectives, guidelines, procedures and policies and ensure compliance with same. Coordinate and support activities across multiple locations and departments.
- Manage multiple deadlines and respond quickly to management, plant, and other departmental requests.
- Execute month-end, quarter-end, and annual close duties, including accruals and reviewing financial information to ensure the financials are accurately and timely reported. Prepare and post journal entries. Maintain proper documentation for required approvals.
- Ensure adherence to and effectiveness of internal control in own area of responsibility.
- Maintain general and supporting sub-ledgers and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations, for assigned locations and accounts.
- On a monthly basis, analyze variances both pre- and post- close. Understand root cause and drive for corrective action. Preparation of monthly variance analysis and reporting packages for various Management team versus budget, prior year, and forecast analysis. Additional period analysis may be required.
- On a monthly basis, analyze the Inventory Change P&L Accounts. Identify, explain, and report on manufacturing variances from standards.
- Prepare and distribute daily, monthly, and quarterly reports, including the monthly reporting packages including variance analysis.
- Preparation of monthly forecasts and annual operating expense and capital budgets. Presentations of forecast and budget to Management are required.
- Prepare AFE, including development of payback financial calculations. Review AFE's for compliance, financial integrity, and accuracy, as well as supervise the tracking of the AFE through the approval process.
- Forecasting of Capital spending is required monthly. Subsequent AFE closures and writeoffs are to be created and submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure accuracy of fixed assets. Assist with the periodic verification (count) of fixed assets, ensuring that counts are properly executed and adjustments timely posted. Monitor and process fixed asset disposals and transfers to ensure the accounting is correct.
- Ensure accuracy of inventory. Assist with the periodic inventory verification process, ensuring that counts are being properly performed within corporate guidelines and that adjustments are timely posted.
- Perform month-end inventory revaluation procedures, establish slow moving/obsolete reserves, and handle overall costing of inventory. Ensure bills of materials and inventory costs are accurate. Investigate month-end count variances and help with root-cause corrective actions. Support monthly inventory reporting.
- Ensure goods receipts are properly accrued and matched with vendor invoices, so that outstanding items are cleared timely (GRIR process). Ensure vendor invoices are properly processed by plant and purchasing personnel by coordinating and leading resolution efforts.
- Process lease recognition requirements monthly.
- Process AP/AR intercompany transactions between companies and balance monthly with counterparts.
- Assist plant management with the cost savings/profit improvement programs. Establish the savings tracking models. Verify financial information on the cost savings/profit improvement plans to ensure accuracy.
- Share best practices with other team members. Occasionally, serving as a back-up when individuals are on vacation or absent. Cross train others as needed. Attend regular group trainings.
- Research and application of technical US GAAP requirements. Identify and lead continuous improvement initiatives.
- Facilitate internal and external audit needs.
- Perform additional ad-hoc analysis and reporting, as requested. Other duties and analysis as assigned by Manager.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with three plus years of progressive accounting experience in public accounting or 5 plus years in industry is required.
- CPA, CMA, or Master’s degree preferred.
- Cost accounting experience is a plus.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment working with A/P, General Accounting, Payroll, Inventories, Fixed Assets, Cash Accounting, Financial Analysis & Reporting and Multi-plant and budgeting is also preferred
- Knowledge of cost accounting principles, financial statement preparation and analysis is required. Skills necessary analytically to review/analyze accounting and financial data, substantiate financial statement balances as well as prepare financial statement account reconciliation
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Exhibits clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Ability to work and communicate effectively at all organizational levels and across functional areas
- Skill at identifying, measuring, evaluating and improving, if needed, the effectiveness of accounting, managerial, financial and operational controls
- Thorough attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent problems resolution and decision-making skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments
- Maintains professionalism and reacts well under pressure
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated leadership as part of a cross-functional management team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Excel
- Knowledge of SAP and BPC accounting systems preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an open office concept. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators.