Senior Project Engineer
We have a great opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer to join our Performance & Essential Materials team at Westlake. The Senior Project Engineer will be primarily responsible for engineering, overseeing, and executing multiple capital & expense projects to meet scope, cost, and schedule requirements at the Westlake chlor-alkali facility in Natrium, WV.
As the project team leader, you will ultimately be responsible for maintaining our standards of excellence and delivering projects with the utmost attention to safety and quality.
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide required engineering services and technical knowledge for the application of new or different processes, equipment, and materials in existing production units to improve production rates, quality, lower production cost, and/or improve equipment reliability.
- Develop plans for projects and prepare budget estimates for approvals.
- Coordinate contract engineering services for projects in accordance with good engineering and safety practices, governmental regulations, plant specifications, applicable codes and underwriter requirements.
- Develop and/or update engineering procedures in order to ensure optimum engineering support for plant facilities.
- Initiate procurement of materials and communicate with Purchasing, Vendors, and Stores to control expediting and receiving of material.
- Prepare work scope descriptions and bid specifications for Purchasing to request bids from vendors and contractors.
- Review and approve construction drawings, vendor equipment, vessels, and machinery related to industrial processes.
- Review and provide recommendations on engineering and construction bid packages.
- Coordinate field installation, inspect, and accept work.
- Prepare project status, construction progress, and cost forecast reports required to keep management informed of progress on assigned projects.
- Communicate with Maintenance and Production personnel to acquire design feedback experience on previously installed equipment and material.
- Fully support continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to health, safety, and environmental requirements through personal behavior and direction of others.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Civil or Electrical)
- Minimum of ten years of experience in a chemical/petrochemical plant or related industry in the engineering field.
- A minimum of five years of project engineering experience.
- Experience leading capital projects: budgeting, forecasting, administration of schedule, and cost control.
- Ability to read and interpret P&IDs, ACAD drawings, and equipment literature applicable in a chemical facility.
Why join us?
At Westlake, you will be a part of global diversified team working together to provide the world essential and more sustainable products that enhance people’s lives every day. There are learning and development opportunities to craft your career path. We offer benefits that enhance your life such as competitive compensation package, health insurance, bonus incentives, retirement plan, life benefits - and many more.
Flexible schedule: Option to work a 9/80 compressed work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off.
Travel: up to 10%
Relocation: Yes (Domestic only)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, this position must make general decisions requiring judgement and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The primary work environment will be in an office, however, some of the work may be required in the operating units which may result in exposure to outside elements, require usage of stairs and elevators, and mandate usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hardhat, goggles, hearing protection, etc.
Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.