Senior Sustainability Projects Engineer
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Sustainability Project Engineer to develop and execute plans for new sustainability projects for Westlake Plants for emission reduction, energy reduction, hydrogen, renewable electricity, and carbon capture and manage the associated portfolio of projects in these areas. This role will perform tasks to ensure renewable project development including pre-feasibility studies, project design, economic analysis, etc. You will be responsible for resource allocation, schedules, cost, technical adequacy, ensuring the project or transaction is completed in the most cost effective and competitive manner. In addition, you will establish a close collaboration with all of the relevant internal and external stakeholders (technology providers, engineering service providers, local authorities, plant leadership teams, etc.).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrates strong safety culture through personal behavior and commitment to environmental, health & safety
- Develop the projects and perform pre-feasibility studies based on SBU priorities and manufacturing strategic priorities on energy and emission reduction
- Perform technical and economic evaluation of projects and define their business case
- Manage internal and external consultants and service providers
- Facilitate and stimulate plant ideas for emissions and energy reduction projects
- Work with site leadership teams, capital project team, and external providers to obtain all permits, licenses, and authorizations required to develop projects
- Conduct data analysis and research to support commercial opportunities
- Track progress and prepare and communicate updates and recommendations
- Monitor external developments and strategies on technology, hydrogen, green power, and carbon capture
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BS Degree in Engineering required
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience, preferably in a chemical plant
- Demonstrated project management experience with ability to develop and manage multiple projects
- Intermediate financial analysis acumen
- Prefer knowledge/experience in emissions reduction technology
- Strong collaboration, facilitation, organization, interpersonal, and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to make sound decisions based upon technical information
- Proficient computer skills, with good working knowledge of all standard company applications (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.)
- Self-directed and motivated with good leadership skills
WHY JOIN US?
At Westlake, you will be a part of global diversified team working together to provide the world essential and more sustainable products that enhance people’s lives every day. There are learning and development opportunities to craft your career path. We offer benefits that enhance your life such as competitive compensation package, hybrid work schedule (three days in office and two days remote), health insurance, bonus incentives, retirement plan, life benefits - and many more.
Flexible schedule: Corporate office - hybrid model; Plant - compressed 9/80 work schedule
Travel: up to 25%
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, this position must make general decisions requiring judgement and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when working in an office, however, some of the work may be required in the operating units which mandates usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.
If an internal candidate is chosen, that person will be allowed to remain at his / her current work location. This person will be required to travel to our PEM plant locations in the United States.