Sr. Engineer - Projects, PE&O
Provides engineering expertise, controls procurement, and coordinates construction of capital projects assigned to meet the requirements of cost, schedule and scope. Gives problem-solving consultation as requested and assists in the development of engineering personnel in order to ensure optimum engineering support for plant facilities. Participates in the application of new technology and materials to existing processes, so as to increase overall production and/or maintenance efficiency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Develops the general plan for a project, prepares a budget estimate, and obtains approval for the plan. Coordinates the activities of consulting firms when necessary.
* Provides a detailed instrumentation/electrical/controls design in accordance with good engineering and safety practices, governmental regulations, plants specifications, applicable codes and underwriter requirements.
* Makes inquiries on, specifies, and selects equipment. Issues requisitions for Purchasing to collect bids. Reviews and gives comments on Engineering Bid Comparisons and submits for approval. Initiates procurement of materials and communicates with Purchasing, vendors, and stores to control expediting and receiving of material.
* Directs designers, checks drawings, reviews project design packages for proper design regarding reliability, application, and maintenance requirements, and submits for approval.
* Coordinates field installation, inspects, and accepts work. Prepares contractors information list and reviews it periodically to check the performance of each contractor. Participates in PSSRs and project turnover to Operations/Reliability.
* Prepares project status, construction progress, and cost reports on a weekly, monthly and annual basis.
* Collects and distributes engineering data and instructions for each specific project, communicates with Operations/Maintenance to acquire design feedback from experience on previously installed equipment and material.
* Assists in the development of engineering personnel, recommends seminars and other technical training programs that might aid in the development of engineers, consults with and provides guidance for beginning engineers.
* Consults with other engineering personnel and vendors and reviews trade journals and other professional publications in order to stay informed on materials, equipment and design methods.
* Contributes to creating and maintaining a favorable plant image by encouraging positive relations with employees and the community, encouraging maximum safety efforts by employees, and maintaining ethical practices and relationships within the plant.
* Performs special projects as assigned, i.e., obtaining regulatory information, sharing information on common industrial topics with local industry, provides information to underwriters on testing reequipments and procedures, enlisting consulting services and other coordination activities as required to assure effective engineering service.
* Provide required engineering services and technical knowledge for the application of new or difference process, equipment, and materials to existing production units to improve production rates, quality, lower production costs, or to improve equipment reliability.
1. Perform the primary thinking encompassed by this job description.
2. Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
3. Fully supports Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well as active
participation on project teams.
4. Any additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned.
5. Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of others. Promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental issues or incidents to management.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Successful candidates must satisfy background screening, including motor vehicle record screening, drug testing & pre-employment physical requirements before starting work.
* A current, valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card is required.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline or equivalent progressive engineering experience.
* Five to ten years’ experience in a refinery, chemical, or petrochemical plant performing engineering design responsibilities.
This job is performed mainly in an office setting. Physical presence and predictable attendance required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk; or hear. Employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job requires response to audible emergency alarms inside of the plant. Employee must be able to evacuate when required.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.