Sr. Product Stewardship Specialist
The Sr. Product Stewardship Specialist role works as the liaison between commercial, legal, and technology representatives and serves as the lead on the development and maintenance of Business Group management system requirements for addressing product compliance. This role will work with various Business Group Product Stewardship teams, assisting each Business Group in proactively managing the product regulatory issues arising in the markets and jurisdictions served, while promoting best-practice sharing across the corporation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following (Product Stewardship, Regulatory Compliance focus areas):
- Monitor and assess potential emerging impacts and risks posed by changing global product regulatory and chemical control laws.
- Work with Business Groups and Risk Management to assess business and operational risks as well as potential impacts for their global sales & marketing activities. Help the Business Groups develop a strategic plan for addressing to mitigate identified risks.
- Proactively and continually improves their level of knowledge about world-wide chemical-control regulatory requirements
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding product regulatory compliance, use, disposal and other product stewardship concerns that are global in nature. Serves to ensure consistency in handling of customer inquiries across regions.
- Work with Business Groups to ensure timely registration, notification or other reports are made with the applicable governmental authorities (e.g. European REACH) to enable continued export sales to all global customers.
- Develops and maintains information on safety, health and environmental hazards, intended uses and exposures for new and existing products to support risk characterization and product safety management.
- Characterizes product risks based on information collected on hazards, intended uses, and exposures associated with the stages of a product’s lifecycle.
- Communicates health, safety and environmental measures to manage risk so that products can be designed, developed, improved, and safely used for their intended purposes.
- Works with suppliers, customers and other value chain participants to foster product safety management and information exchange along the value chain, commensurate with risk.
- Responsible for managing chemical control compliance programs, product registrations and import and export compliance. Supports implementation of safety data sheet and product labeling programs and raw material introduction programs.
- Provides regulatory and technical advice to Technical, Sales and Marketing for complex local, national and international EHS regulatory and scientific matters.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BS degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or related science & minimum 7 years of combined experience in product management, chemical manufacturing, product technology, product / trade compliance, or risk management. Experience across multiple areas preferred.
- Experience in working with regulatory issues such as: FDA, Health Canada, European Union REACH, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Global Harmonization System (GHS), Classification for Labelling & Packaging (CLP), Hazard Communication, Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point (HACCP), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)and/or ISO certifications.
- Must have good interpersonal and written and oral communication skills, and capable of collaborating with the business and other functions to support implementation of global product stewardship strategy, policies, standards, programs and operating procedures as applicable.
- Demonstrate high attention to detail, take ownership and drive results.
WHY JOIN US?
At Westlake, you will be a part of global diversified team working together to provide the world essential and more sustainable products that enhance people’s lives every day. There are learning and development opportunities to craft your career path. We offer benefits that enhance your life such as competitive compensation package, hybrid work schedule (three days in the office and two days remote), health insurance, bonus incentives, retirement plan, life benefits - and many more!
Travel: up to 10% for site visits
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and climb; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and infrequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently make minor decisions requiring limited judgement, general decisions in the absence of specific directions, and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when working in an office; however, some of the work may be required in the operating units, which mandates usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs. Travel may be required occasionally.