Sr. Project Engineer
Sr. Project Engineer
This position will make decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have a far-reaching impact on extensive engineering and related activities of the company; negotiates critical and controversial issues with top-level engineers and officers of other organizations and companies. Individuals at this level demonstrate a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing and guiding extensive engineering programs and activities of outstanding novelty and importance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Promote and support Westlake’s Continuous Improvement Process (CIP) activities as part of the department team.
- Generate front-end scope packages for capital projects (effective scope definition) and be a champion for change management.
- Create and implement solutions to action items identified in PHA’s, audit findings, and root cause analysis.
- Prepare monthly and other reports required to keep management informed on progress of projects, improvements made and other items as necessary
- Use Statistical Process Control in the continuous improvement effort.
- Maintain information (files and documentation) for plant process, equipment and technology.
- Assist in the preparation of capital requests necessary to improve plant operations.
- Maintain working knowledge of the plant operations and technology in order to identify improvement opportunities.
- Successfully manages multiple complex projects.
- Leads large cross-functional teams on complex projects
- Develops presentations on recommendations and routinely presents to upper management.
- Represents the company in technical areas.
- Maintains extensive contacts with key engineers and officials of other organizations and companies.
- Develops and writes project engineering procedures implementing new project procedures and technologies.
- Complies with all Westlake procedures, guidelines and standards, including ISO - 9001 standards.
- Determines staffing requirements for assigned projects and contract directly with outside engineering firms (approved vendors only).
- Clearly document issues and negotiate changes on assigned projects.
- Demonstrates strong safety culture through personal behavior and commitment to environmental, health & safety.
- Participates in the PACE culture of safety.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering is required
- Master degree is preferred
- PE certification is desired
- Minimum of 8 years of related engineering experience is required
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Proficient computer skills, with good working knowledge of all standard company applications (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.). SAP experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Self-directed and motivated
- Good leadership skills
- Ability to make sound decisions based upon technical information.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, this position must make general decisions requiring judgement and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when working in an office, however, some of the work may be required in the operating units which mandates usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.