Sr. Project Engineer
Westlake makes chemical and plastic products, which in turn make life better for people every day. We are a quality manufacturer and dependable global supplier of petrochemicals, plastics and building products. Our mission is to serve our clients by enhancing daily life through the products and services we provide.
Coordinates and manages multiple capital projects assigned to meet the requirements of cost, schedule and scope at the Westlake plant in the Geismar, La. area. Develops and/or updates engineering procedures in order to ensure optimum Engineering support for plant facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of all personnel on site. Whenever appropriate; promptly report Safety, health or Environmental incidents or issues to management so the situation can be corrected. Attends Monthly Safety Meetings, participates on safety committees, conducts field observations, all with a goal to improve the site’s safety culture in a positive manner.
- Designs and Executes projects that improve the site’s Environmental, Health and Safety performance. Adheres to OSHA, PSM, and EPA guidelines along with all Westlake EHS and Reliability Policies.
- Develops the general plan for a project, prepares a budget estimate and obtains approval for the plan.
- Coordinates contracting engineering services for mechanical and I&E projects in accordance with good Engineering and safety practices, governmental regulation, plant specifications, applicable codes and underwriter requirements. Coordinates the activities of consulting firms when necessary.
- Initiates procurement of materials and communicates with Purchasing, vendors and stores to control expediting and receiving of material.
- Directs designers, checks drawings and submits for approval.
- Prepares work descriptions and specifications; issues requisitions for Purchasing to collect bids. Reviews and provides recommendation on engineering bid comparisons and submits for approval.
- Coordinates field installation, inspects and accepts work. Prepares contractors information list and reviews it periodically to check the performance of each contractor.
- Prepares project status, construction progress, forecast and cost reports on a monthly basis.
- Collects and distributes Engineering data and instructions for each specific project, communicates with Maintenance and Production to acquire design feedback from experience on previously installed equipment and material.
- Provide required engineering services and technical knowledge for the application of new or different processes, equipment, and materials to existing production units to improve production rates, quality, lower production cost, or to improve equipment reliability.
- This position may be required to drive company vehicles from time to time.
- Fully support Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well active participation on projects teams
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical or related field)
- Minimum of ten years of experience in a chemical or petrochemical plant or related industry in the engineering field and five years of project engineering experience is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. Employee may be required to use stairs/elevators and have the ability to occasionally work at elevated heights. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, this position must take general decisions requiring judgement and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when working in an office, however, some of the work may be required in the operating units which mandates usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.