Superintendent - Process Automation Systems
Leads the Lake Charles PE&O automation group servicing the Lake Charles Petro Facilities. Meets internal customer requirements for the maintenance and application of automation technologies to
sustain and improve the plant’s processes and communication systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Supervises and assigns work to process automation personnel
2. Oversees training of process automation personnel and evaluates proficiencies.
3. Provides performance and developmental goals for process automation personnel
4. Conducts performance reviews for process automation personnel
5. Oversees development of capital upgrade/improvement plan for process automation and safety instrumented systems’ hardware and software
6. Performs a lead role in ensuring compliance with safety instrumented systems’ industry standards, including IEC 61511/ISA 84 and with similar Westlake policy.
7. Oversees and coordinates compliance with automation systems’ industry standards, including IEC 62443/NIST 82 and with similar Westlake security policy.
8. Coordinates and prioritizes efforts of available resources to deliver on-time and on-budget completion of tasks and projects.
9. Provides information to IE&C Manager in order to prepare annual expense budget.
10. Develops and maintains procedures and standards in the automation systems’ environment to continuously improve existing processes.
11. Develops and maintains strong relationships with all internal and external stakeholders (e.g. operations, engineering, site and corporate EHS consultants and vendors).
12. Researches current automation systems’ industry initiatives, best practices, and standards in order to appraise applicability, leverage, and benefit the facility.
13. Attracts and retains strong technical resources and supports the growth and development of technical team members.
14. Provide monthly SIS KPI report to PSM Department by required date.
1. Perform the primary thinking encompassed by this job description.
2. Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
3. Fully supports Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement
opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well as active participation on project teams.
4. Any additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned.
5. Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of others. Promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental issues or incidents to management.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
* A current, valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card is required.
* Bachelor degree in the field of Engineering strongly preferred.
* 10+ years of in the Industrial Automation sector.
* Solid understanding of the chemical process environment.
* Extensive knowledge of process control systems and solutions.
* Knowledge and experience in application and compliance of Safety Instrumented Systems.
* Project management skills, including organizing, tracking, reporting and record keeping.
* Familiarity with NFPA and API Standards strongly preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.