Westlake’s Tax department is looking for a student to support the Corporate Tax team. This position will be approximately 30 hours per week working on project-oriented work assignments. This assignment will provide exposure to areas of direct and indirect taxation, including federal, state and local, and international tax return preparation, including tax research as needed. This role interacts with multiple tax directors and supervisors as frequently as needed by either.
This position does not offer any relocation or housing stipends therefore, local candidates are preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with compilation of data and various projects related to federal, foreign, state, and local tax returns, payments, and tax provisions.
- Assist with preparation of federal income tax returns for various Westlake subsidiaries included in the federal tax return, state income/franchise tax returns for these entities, and any additional tax compliance as needed (such as amended returns, tax refund claims, etc.), all using applicable tax software; consult with Corporate and Business Unit Accounting groups as part of this function.
- Prepare, update, and maintain separate tax depreciation schedules for all companies for return filing and tax provision purposes, and for current and future tax estimates, using tax depreciation software.
- Assist with other miscellaneous tax returns such as GST, sales and use, property for various Westlake subsidiaries.
- Assistance in tax research and planning and occasional assistance on special tax projects, as assigned.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Fully supports Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well as active participation on project teams.
- Any additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university; Masters of Tax program; or program related; LLM in Taxation.
- Must possess proficiency in Microsoft Excel and have intermediate skills in MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
- Undergraduate preferred in Accounting, but not required
- Experience with any of the following applications is preferred: SAP, BPC, and OneSource.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter who can manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn fast with desire to achieve.
- Effective interpersonal and strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Adaptable/flexible and open to change in response to new information.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an open office concept. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators.